I am a sucker for beautiful space photography so you can imagine I how delighted I was to discover that NASA has recently released an updated high-res version of the famous Blue Marble photograph for 2012.
This is certainly not the first time that NASA has updated the 1972 photograph but the Blue Marble 2012 photograph taken using the VIRS instrument aboard NASA’s most recently launched Earth-observing satellite – Suomi NPP is being called the ‘most amazing high definition image of Earth’ by the space agency.
Blue Marble 2012 is a beautiful composite image using a number of swaths of the Earth’s surface taken on January 4, 2012. NASA has made this photograph available via their Flickr account where a super high resolution 8000×8000 pixel image can be downloaded – that’s my new desktop wallpaper sorted! Fascinating.
- “Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”
- Stunning space shuttle time lapse photography from NASA
- Stunning photograph of shuttle Endeavour docked to the ISS
- Space shuttle Atlantis photographed from nearby passenger plane
- Space shuttle Endeavour final mission
About the author
UK based photographer Mark J P.